Division: Brookings, SD
3300 Prince Dr, Brookings
This position has overall project management responsibilities for new product development and revisions for assigned customers. The Engineer will work closely with the customer and Falcon's sales department to establish project requirements and goals. The Engineer will coordinate with internal departments and outside suppliers to meet the project requirements and goals from concept through initial production runs. The Engineer will also support our internal continuous improvement projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Serves as primary contact for assigned customers.
- Coordinates with internal departments to assure customer satisfaction on new jobs and product revisions.
- Develops or approves the initial quality plan and inspection instructions on all new products to ensure consistency and high quality that meets or exceed customer expectations.
- Partners with customer service to assure proper set up of initial bill of material for molded parts and assemblies on all new products and revisions.
- Maintains proper recordkeeping and documentation for all projects and assignments.
- Obtains initial specifications from customers concerning product quality directives and packaging.
- Prepares and solicits quotes for materials, packaging and other required items.
Overall tooling management to include revisions, repairs, new mold review and developing mold specifications for quoting.
ANALYZE / DEVELOPMENT / TESTING
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications,
- Partners with production and Engineers to develop a product or system such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic or heat transfer systems.
- Modifies existing designs, improve production techniques, and develops test procedures. Directs and utilizes management staff and other resources to achieve optimal end result.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies or concepts.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering and design
- Develops and maintains a high level of knowledge on scientific molding concepts, materials, tooling, mold design, quality and secondary operations.
- Work with SolidWorks or other design software to review design and develop customer prints, internal improvement projects and plant layouts.
- Must understand fundamentals of electricity, pneumatics, hydraulics, programming, material properties, and general automation principles and have the ability to apply this knowledge when needed.
Utilize IQMS for maintaining part standards, developing process management in regards to real time, reporting and inventory management by helping to implement IQMS programs.
- Confers with management, production, and sales staff to determine production feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer expectations and demands for new and existing products.
- Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs and market demand to plan projects.
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations and/or interdepartmental relations.
Responsible for coordinating and scheduling product samples and molding trials in an organized fashion that will meet customer, production, and product development requirements as needed.
COST + CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENTS
- Assists management and sales in generating and providing production quotes to customers.
- Evaluates manufacturing process and recommends modifications to eliminate lost opportunity, machine, tool or system malfunctions.
- Analyses, evaluates and recommends cost implement ideas through product, vendor and design changes.
- Develops automation and fixture concepts to support the manufacturing processes.
- Evaluates, analyzes and makes recommendations on products, designs, and cost improvements to improve the competitive position of the company.
Partners with vendors, customers and purchasing department on identifying substitute raw materials, purchase parts, and other strategies that can result in cost savings.
- Develops a strong working relationship and partnership with all customers to understand and anticipate product development and design needs that may enhance their product line.
- Provides support to sales and marketing on product presentation and customer support.
Participates in customer task force meetings for assigned customers and as requested by the Plant Manager or corporate staff.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from 4-year college or university and 2-3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficient skills in Microsoft Office products, (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), design software such as SolidWorks, ERP system – IQMS, and effective use of software tools to manage projects.
Job Type: Full-time